Saturday, July 19, 2008

Some People

I was at my usual bar, when a old high school friend came up to me. I see him between zero and 2 times per year. We chat, he goes back to his group. A bit later, I'm enjoying some music on the jukebox when a woman that looked kinda familiar asks the bartender is she knows who sings the song on the jukebox. I overhear and thought I'd help out.

Me: It's Scandal.
Her: I think it's Pat Benatar.
Me: I know it's Scandal.
Her: I positive it's Pat Benatar.
Me: I put it in the jukebox - it's Scandal.
Her: Pat Benatar.
Me: I have the album at home, I just converted this song, "Goodbye To You", to mp3, and I put it in the jukebox. I'm pretty sure it's Scandal.
Her: No, I KNOW it's Pat Benatar.
Manager walking by: Oh Scandal...with Patty Smyth (but he pronounced it Smith).
Her: It's not Patti Smith.
Me: Scandal, featuring Patty Smyth.
Her: (wandering away) It's Pat Benatar...

Interesting - the more she was confronted with information, the more sure she was that it was wrong. She never contested that I DIDN'T put in the song, just that I didn't know who I had put in. This was extra funny to me since I had to type in "SCAND" to find the artist's available songs to download "Goodbye to You". I'm pretty sure I would have noticed I was typing in "PAT BEN".

A little later, I see the woman walking next to my old high school friend and remembered that she is his wife. That will be a funny encounter next time I see them together. I'm sure she did not recognize me then, but probably will in the future after that exchange.

A little more later, I put a Pat Benatar song in just in case the opportunity arose to point out what Pat Benatar sounds like...

No comments: